Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

College access at College Summit

Last weekend, five of my students and I attended a College Summit workshop at Trinity College in DC. My placement FLOC is partnered with College Summit. College Summit is a "national nonprofit organization that partners with schools and districts to strengthen college-going culture and increase college enrollment rates, so that all students graduate career and college-ready." Upstairs of my placement is College Summit's national office. Members of the national office staff have been guest speakers in a number of my program's workshops.

The workshop was held Thursday-Sunday and offers inner city students the tools they need to write a personal statement for their college applications, create a college list, and offer sessions for students to express themselves and recognize their personal successes, hardships, and vulnerabilities. Students in my program and in the greater DC area have remarkable stories that they were able to express through this program.

Volunteers, alumni leaders, and staff of this program came from all over the country. Over the course of just four days, I quickly became familiar and comfortable with the chaperones, college coaches, and writing coaches. Students left the weekend with an established college list, a solid personal essay, and many new trusting relationships. I am very grateful that I got to witness and experience the growth I saw in my students. Since experiencing the weekend, I have been recommending the volunteer opportunities with College Summit to many of my friends and family members. I look forward to being involved in another workshop in the future.

Only two more weeks remain at my placement in Washington, DC. In three weeks, I will be returning home to Portland, Ore and my Jesuit Volunteer Corps year will be complete. More soon.

More on College Summit: http://www.collegesummit.org/aboutus

No comments:

Post a Comment