Search This Blog

Friday, April 30, 2010

Supporting Non-Profits

Last Wednesday, my placement held its annual breakfast fundraiser. A few months back, I signed up on a committee to help assist the planning. Given my background in the media and film production, I was assigned to help a film crew put together a documentary-style video to help tell the story of For Love of Children that we would share at the fundraiser. The film included current students, members of our staff, and volunteers who are committed to serving FLOC. The staff and I arrived at the AED building on Connecticuit Avenue early Wednesday morning to begin setting up for the event. I helped greet guests, all who entered came in with a smile and graciously listened about our programs that support high risk youth in the DC area. Within the hour, our executive director, program participants and members of the board shared stories of what we do at FLOC and outcomes of our students. While some days can be challenging, the fundraiser breakfast reminded me of the mission of our program and why I am spending my year serving DC's youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment